Recent activity feed

It would be nice if there was a way to follow recent activity such as latest edits & contributions to flesh out / proof-read content that’s on the rise and see where the most active discussions are taking place.

I imagine a pure stream of new content would not really work because it would get overwhelming quickly and hard to overview. So in my mind I see a time constrained overview. Something like:

• Question [What is the best Android phone?] has had [X] new votes, [Y] new contributions, [Z] edits, [Q] new discussion comments [since you last checked / in the last hour / in the last week / etc.]
  • Question [What is the best Windows phone?] has had [X] new votes, [Y] new contributions, [Z] edits, [Q] new discussion comments [since you last checked / in the last hour / in the last week / etc.]
  • Question [What is the best Ubuntu phone?] has had [X] new votes, [Y] new contributions, [Z] edits, [Q] new discussion comments since [last checked / last hour / last week / etc.]

With options to set the time constraint and order by hand.

Order such as “Order by most new votes/contributions/edits/comments or newest/popular(most views?)”

I had a very similar idea, where the question feed would have events grouped by question, so it would be structured something like:

What is the best android phone?

• Nexus 5 was added as a new option 10 minutes ago
  • 5 new comments were added to the pro “Sleek design with solid build quality” in the option Nexus 5 1 hour ago
  • Tom updated the pro “Comes with stock android” in the option Nexus 5 1 day ago

Or maybe the grouping should go down to the option level so you don’t have to keep the structure in your head:

What is the best android phone?

• Nexus 5
    • Best build quality was added as a pro 30 minutes ago
    • Stuart commented on Sleek Design 3 hours ago
    • 10 new votes over the last day

And head event point would have a corresponding icon to make it easier to see what happened.

I think it has the potential to be a good view for the general new activity page.

The second option seems to be easier to understand at a glance.