Meta.slant.co now shares login with www.slant.co

Hey all,

We’re now using single-sign-on to share login from the Slant website to this meta. Please let me know if you run into any problems!

2 Likes

Is there anyway to link back to the main blog from the meta section? I’ve been trying to find one while reading through these pages.

Also, I’ve noticed my bio from my user profile information is not showing up on the main blog site as well. I can see why the overall format is different from the two sites, but was wondering if there is any reason why the basic profile info isn’t shared (since the login was added, I felt it was relevant).

Thanks!

Mike

1 Like

We’re using discourse.org for this forum while www.slant.co is all custom. So there is a limit to how well we can integrate them.

@StuartK you could do something like this:

In my forums I’ve done this:

<div class="main-nav" style="display:none;">
    <nav class="container">
        <ul class="cf">
            <li><a href="//cregox.com"><span>Home</span></a></li>
            <li><a href="//cregox.com/your-home"><span>Your Home</span></a></li>
            <li><a href="//cregox.com/about"><span>About / contact</span></a></li>
            <li><a href="/c/blog/"><span>Blog</span></a></li>
            <li><a href="//cregox.com/pay"><span>Pay</span></a></li>
        </ul>
    </nav>
</div>

And for CSS:

.main-nav {
    background: darkgray;
    display: block !important; /* to remove custom header from admin, cuz it doesn't accept custom css */
}
ul.cf {
    float: right;
    list-style: none;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
}
.cf li {
    display: inline-block;
    position: relative;
    line-height: 20px;
    padding: 5pt;
    padding-right: 15pt;
}
.cf span {
    color: black;
}
.cf span:hover {
    color: white;
}
2 Likes

I like it. @rbaten want to take a look?

1 Like

This is solely my opinion as I’m not familiar with the Discourse software in regards to its structure and guidelines. But thanks to this topic and more importantly thanks to Slant as well, I am curious to learn more about it and wouldn’t have been as curious if it weren’t introduced to me in any other way. However, after doing a bit of reading on the discourse site (and the meta section) for the purpose to understand how it works, I coincidentally ran into the same exact post that @Cawas shared a link on

Which then lead me to search more about the topic of being able to link back to Slant.co from the meta.slant.co site. To sum up from what I learned while going through the posts on their site, I understood that it’s much more complex than I could’ve ever imagined. After reading @StuartK reply

My first assumption was that it was restricted only for SEO purposes. Although I’m still unsure exactly why it’s as big a deal as they (Discourse Meta) make it seem to be, or if I’m mistakenly understanding they’re meaning as referring explicitly to the use of having a backlink or linkback within a site for SEO. But my current conclusion to what I understood so far is that @Cawas found and referenced exactly what my intent was when I asked about adding this to the meta.slant.co site.

Also, from the same post that is referenced, shows that this is a very common and specific concern for several users. So, I believe it’s the best solution and I think that post covers all the necessary info needed for doing this, including being the only source to be used.