Adding new questions that seem too broad or biased

This might overlap some topics already discussed, but I found multiple possible topics that this was perhaps better asked as a reply as opposed to creating a new topic itself.

One thing I’ve been noticing on newly created topics / questions is that they are more often sounding to be either too broad, as in having too many paths in how to go about when adding options, or too biased as in not having enough reason for adding an option.
This is best to explain by using some examples (these are generic ones that may or may not already exist already):

Too broad could be:

What are the best ways to learn how to learn a programming language?

Too biased could be:

What is the best browser to use?

there might be several other examples that can make sense for specifically making new questions this way, but I can’t think of any at the moment though I’m sure this can be true.

1 Like

more often sounding to be either too broad

Yeah, Slant becomes a bit more difficult to overview and arguably less useful with super-broad questions. The thing is that it’s the starting point for a lot of people looking for a solution. If you want to learn programming, but know nothing about it, you ask what’s the best way to go about achieving your goal in a general way, because you don’t know the specifics yet. So that step can’t be removed

What we could do though is, once a person hits that point where they ask the super-broad question to, guide them to a more appropriate question.

We have a few ideas on how to go about it. The most likely first stab at the problem will be guiding users to tags. So if you ask “What are the best ways to learn programming?” you would get guided towards a list of questions that are tagged #programming and #learning resources. And the page for that combination of tags would have information on how to go about sifting through the question (similarly to how we have question descriptions that help define how to best choose options).

Too biased could be:
What is the best browser to use?

By biased do you mean subjective in this case?

Btw, I think the example question is a pretty good fit for Slant (though it would probably get split in to desktop, ios, android, etc browsers to limit the scope). There’s functionality, ease of use, standards compliance and many other things to compare.

But generally we don’t limit subjective questions. Our thinking is that all highly subjective claims can still be backed up with evidence; it just may be more difficult to do that. We have a question on programming fonts, that’s really as close to subjective as you can get and even then things like legibility can be discussed objectively.

1 Like

Completely agree with @thekodols, but I’d also add this perspective: